With this visa, you can
- enter Australia and stay for no longer than 72 hours before leaving by air or sea
- enter Australia by air to join the crew of a non-military ship as a Maritime Crew visa (subclass 988) holder
How long you can stay
- No longer than 72 hours
- You have 5 days from arrival by air to sign onto the ship. You will need to apply for a new Transit visa on each occasion you are seeking to enter Australia by air to join a ship. Your Maritime Crew visa will cease if you do not sign on to your ship within 5 days of arriving in Australia by air on your Transit visa.
- You can't stay in Australia longer by extending this visa. If you want to stay longer, you should apply for another visa.
- You can't include family. You must make a separate application for each person traveling. This includes babies on their parent's passport.
- 75% of applications: 8 days
- 90% of applications: 17 days
Meeting the requirements
You are likely to meet the character requirements if your visa application shows you have:
- no substantial criminal record
- good general behavior
We will not grant you a visa if there is a risk you will:
- engage in criminal conduct
- harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person
- vilify a segment of the Australian community
- incite discord in the Australian community
- be a danger to the Australian community
- declare all criminal offenses
- truthfully answer all questions
- provide all requested information
Be truthful in your application. We consider all circumstances of a case. Even if you do not meet the character requirements, we or the Minister for Home Affairs can choose to grant your visa.
If you are not completely honest about your criminal history, we may refuse your application.
After you apply
We may ask you to:
- provide a police certificate
- complete Form 80 Personal particulars for character assessment (554KB PDF)
- complete a character statutory declaration (80KB PDF)
- provide a military certificate
- provide a letter of good conduct from an employer
Where a foreign government or law enforcement authority gives us details about you, we treat your details confidentially (160KB PDF).